top of page

Candle Care and Frequently Asked Questions

Our candles are 100% soy with absolutely no additives other than fragrance oils. But soy candles like this need a little more attention than standard paraffin wax candles. Listed below are the best tips we have to get the most out of your soy candles, regardless of where you get them!

What is the best way to care for my candle?

The first few burns on your candle are the most important. Make sure the wick is trimmed to approximately 1/4 an inch and to burn the candle until the wax has melted to the edge of the jar and the pool of melted wax is about 1/4 of an inch deep. This may take several hours. Our larger jars (12oz and up) are single wicked for longevity and safety, but they benefit greatly from candle toppers which help heat the glass evenly and achieve a melt pool more quickly.

Why does my candle have an uneven surface after burning?

Our candles are 100% soy with no additives, and natural waxes are known for their 'imperfections.' After the wick is extinguished, the wax does not always cool evenly, leading to 'potholes' on the surface. This is normal and should not affect the performance of the candle.

Why is my candle discolored after burning?

Because our candles have no dyes or additives (other than fragrance oils), the wax may darken slightly after cooling. It may also be caused by a wick which was not trimmed properly and burned too hot. But it should not affect the candle's performance.

Why is my candle burning unevenly or tunneling?

The most likely culprit is that the wick was not trimmed properly (likely cut too short) or that the candle has not been lit long enough to establish a melt pool. The candle should not be put out until there is at least 1/4 deep melt pool on all sides of the jar. Otherwise, the wick will tunnel into the candle and eventually will drown itself with wax. It's also possible that the candle is placed near a cold or drafty spot (like an open window) and the glass can't heat up properly to melt the edges. Try putting the candle in a different spot and pour out some of the extra melted wax (careful, because it's hot!) so that it doesn't drown the wick.

For our bigger containers, sometimes there is wax on the edge of the jar after the first few burns. This is normal, and as the candle burns down, the flame can effectively warm the edges of the glass. Just be sure to let the candle burn for at least three hours.

Why doesn't my candle put out a lot of fragrance?

If you purchased a candle on the "fresh" side of the fragrance profile spectrum, it may just be that it is not meant to be an overpowering scent. Or, it could be that the wick is not trimmed properly (either too short or too long - both will cause scent throw problems). The other issue which we have found (by accident!) is that certain spots of rooms have odd airflow patterns and will whisk the scent right out of the room. If we put even the richest candle near the television in the living room, the fragrance gets picked up by our ceiling fan and sent down the hall. But if we put it next to the couch, the fragrance stays in the room. Experiment with different placements!

How can I fixed a tunneled wick?

If you have a heat gun, you can melt the surface of the candle to smooth it out or discard extra wax (carefully, since it's hot!). You can also put the candle into the oven on its lowest setting until the wax starts to melt evenly. The best solution, in our opinion, is to use a candle topper which helps to evenly distribute heat along the edges of the jar. 

*We do not recommend microwaving our candles, since they have metal wick tabs at the bottom.*

Why is my candle producing soot?

This is most commonly caused by a wick which has not been trimmed to the suggested length of 1/4 of an inch. If too much wick is exposed, the flame will burn too hot, leading to soot, inefficient burn, and a possible loss of fragrance (due to the oil being burned off prematurely by the flame). It may also be caused by the candle being put in a drafty location.

Why is my candle turning yellow?

Our candles are made with pure soy wax with no additives, including what are called "UV stabilizers." This means that the wax is more susceptible to discoloration when exposed to UV light for a prolonged period of time. When not in use, try to shield your candle from sunlight, especially if you don't plan on burning it soon.

bottom of page